Strengthening The Bond With Your Kids This Festive Season
India is a land of festivals, and teaching our young ones the value of festivals is of utmost importance. Holi, Diwali, Rakshabandhan, Bhaidooj, Christmas, all the festivals teach us a lesson of togetherness and always encourage us to choose the path to humanity. Whatever we celebrate, regardless of who we are or what religion we belong to, the importance of festivals for children is always engaging. During the festivities, everyone gathers to make preparations.
Thus, as we take our children closer to the authenticity of the festivals, they will realize the beauty of culture and be inspired to take our heritage forward to a new generation. These festivals teach us a lesson of togetherness and offer young minds an opportunity to grow.
Let us see how festivals teach our kids new skills and help them grow by making their roots stronger in our tradition.
Importance of festivals for Kids
Skills Children Develop When celebrating festivals:
- Social skills:Festival season is the best time to get together with family and friends. You can encourage children to learn social skills such as greeting, visiting, communicating, etc. They make new friends, interact more with many people, and develop social skills.
- Creative skills:Celebrating Indian Festivals showcases all the art forms that help develop creative skills. Kids learn a lot about design, painting, shapes, decoration, drawing, crafts, and sculpture. Children who are enthusiastic about dance and music have the opportunity to develop this talent and present it in their communities during the festivities.
- Intellectual skills: Festivals teach children about the myriad cultures of different states thus, helping them expand their geographical knowledge. Kids learn the concept of months and time and get introduced to different customs and traditions. Festivals help kids develop memory skills and learn a lot about the country and its people.
- Emotional skills: As we celebrate and meet our loved ones, the enthusiasm is great. Everyone is happy, and this helps develop emotional skills in children. A joyful environment is the ultimate source of a kid’s development.
- Language skills:There are so many stories that talk about festivals in India. Telling children the stories behind the festival celebration will improve children’s listening and storytelling skills. Holidays during festivals give your child more time to enhance their language skills. They can express themselves and share their experience of hosting parties by discussing. They learn to communicate and interact with others which improves their language skills.
- Traditions and rituals:Children should learn the basic rituals and traditions to celebrate these festivals, whether on Dussehra, Diwali, Janmashtami, Ganesh Chaturthi, or Christmas. These traditions and cultural rituals are the only reason that uniquely connects each festival.
- The essence of traditional clothing: Our costumes reflect the living culture of our country, and therefore, they learn the value of wearing special attire at parties and occasions.
- Ingenious festive decorations: Letting your little ones decorate your home during the holidays will help them stay busy and encourage them to enjoy the holiday season more. Rangoli Decorations, flower arrangements, picks, and Diya decorations are a few of the activities enjoyed by the children.
- Games around festivals:Engagement in learning boost when combined with fun. When your kids answer interesting questions put up by you with the motivation of getting their favourite sweets or crackers as their rewards, they will value the essence of celebrating the festivals.
- Dinner table conversations:Festivals are the perfect occasions for families to sit together and bond. As the saying goes, “family that eats together stays together,” therefore, dinner table conversations are the paramount times for you to connect with your little ones while enjoying a soulful meal.
Festivals are an integral part of our lives, and it brings us all closer together, helping the new generation learn more about our tradition, values, and culture.
We, adults, love and appreciate the value and learning that comes from the cultural significance in our lives. But do you think children know and understand the meaning of today’s celebrations and rituals? Children around the world have the opportunity to be surprised.
Thus, our professionals at OurPlaySchool.com never fail to take a step to help our toddlers explore and learn about our religions and cultures. We aim to promote a multidisciplinary approach in our teaching model that revolves around the overall development of these curious young brains.