Role of Grandparents in a child’s life
The relationship between children and their grandparents is special. For children, having grandparents around while growing up can have many benefits.
A healthy connection always facilitates positive growth in the child.
The relationship also has positive effects on the grandparents.
- Staying with grandparents aids in vocabulary building and speech development through stories, a regular conversation with the child
- Impart knowledge and awareness through their wisdom and experiences. They literally ‘carry stories’ with them
- Offer unconditional love and support
- Play buddies for children, it is fun and exciting for both parties- they may explore different creative modalities of play and imagination
- They share the values of tradition, family, culture with children from their experiences
- Emotional support systems for children. Especially during tough times, having an extra layer of support can make a big difference in a child’s life.
- Grandparents are a valuable resource because they have so many stories and experiences from their own lives to share.
- They offer a link to a child’s cultural heritage and family history
- They can act as mentors, guiding children in making certain decisions
- May be primary caretakers for the child when parents are not around, thus helping the parents too